Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Academy

So last week I joined the Academy at Karate. What this means is that I get an extra 2 hour group class on Tuesday nights by the main instructor, a third degree black belt. Also I get to help out around the dojo and will start training students as well.

A few weeks ago I had a conversation with one of the main instructors of a dojo here. And he was telling me that in order to advance at Karate it is important to teach. That basically at a certain point the only way to learn is to teach. But also, it just means I will be spending more time at studying the martial arts.

The other benefits are just that.... well Sensei Santillo (the aforementioned 3rd degree black belt) said that Academy members tend to get special treatment to some extent. So what I'm thinking is that with the extra lesson and teaching people, it will hopefully mean that I will be able to advance in rate faster as well.

Aaaannnnnyways tomorrow (wednesday) I will have my first lesson, teaching a private lesson tomorrow. So everyone wish me luck :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment