Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Testing and Rennfest

So last Friday I tested for my Green Belt. I've posted before on the rigors of such tests, and while this one did for sure meet such a description, it wasn't quite as bad as the previous test either. So I personally thought that was good lol. My favorite part at the end was when the main instructor says "okay in this last minute your guy's job is to convince me you aren't tired". This of course after the two hour test of constant activity and exercises. Then at the end after they handed out the belts he said "you guy's almost convinced me" then he points directly at me "but you're lips don't have any color." So yeah, I was slightly dehydrated by that point lol. Which is par for the course. The good news is I won't have to go through that again for a while, I'm anticipated spring maybe? Possibly winter. But I'm thinking 3-4 months minimum.



Then on last Sunday Rachel and I went to the Maryland Renaissance Festival. Again, I have to apologize for not having pictures... I've seriously been dropping the ball here. But for the most part it was like the one last year. Sadly though this year Ken and Becky weren't able to make it. But we did meet up with Tom and his gf Bashear. So that was nice, as it was last years Rennfest that I saw him last. Another "its a small world moment" it turns out that the job that Tom had before moving to DC was located in Pittsburgh and the company he worked at was a contractor for the navy. Rachel also worked up in Pittsburg for a few months with the navy, so she was familiar with the company and project that Tom was working on during his time there. So they were having fun tossing out names and projects lol. Anyways I though it was funny!



In terms of the actual fair though, I must say I was once again disappointed in the jousting. They seem to just go through the motions, which isn't nearly as much fun as it could be. In comparison the renn fair I went to a few years ago in Mass. had a lot more energy, and comedy going on between the knights and the competitions. Which is a shame because this renn fair is much larger and nicer of the two otherwise. But besides that the fair was a lot of fun. My favorite shows were the Shakespeare Skum, which did a show called "Macbeth in 20 minutes or less". This is a group that I saw last year as well (they did Hamlet last year) but they are tons of fun and are based out of London. And there was a sword swallower who was a blast to watch. He did some sword swallowing as well as some relatively simple (as in I couldn't do them!) magic tricks. But the show was a blast. And of course I'd be remiss if I didn't talk about the excellent food offerings. Hmmm... smoked Turkey leg! Overall it was a great time, and we couldn't have asked for better weather.

Anyways that pretty much brings me up to date. This weekend I'll be going to a Halloween party/housewarming party for a friend from Karate. So Rachel and I need to find some costumes for that. And then on Sunday I will hopefully go caving with Rachel, well she is the "secretary" for a caving group so I get to try that out this weekend. With any luck I'll have some pictures even! But no promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment