Monday, October 25, 2010

Spears and Caves

Once again I am epic fail when it comes to pictures. If I get any I'll post them retroactively.

On Saturday I took part in a spear clinic. That is right, I am learning Shaolin Spear forms. My sensai, when he isn't failing at breaking sticks, told us that the Spear is often called the "king of shaolin weapons" which is pretty cool eh? I think so at least! The forms are very flourishy and pretty, and tons of fun to do, and to watch I think. There is a lot of twirling of the spear around your body and over your head, as well as some stabbing and a couple of impalements (of your opponent, and not yourself). As I said it was tons of fun and I managed to learn 1 of the forms (there are a total of 3). With any luck next week I'll learn the second form! Anyways this will bring my weapons skillz up to 3, as I now know forms for Bo staff, Broadsword and now Spear.

Then as I hinted at the end of my last post on Sunday I went caving with Rachel. Rachel and her mother are part of a local caving group in the greater DC area. As such from time to time they get together at nearby caves and... go caving! This last weekend was such an excursion. Rachel and I joined up with her mother and four others and explored a nearby cave in West Virginia.

As I told Rachel before we started, I wasn't sure what to expect from caving, as I have never gone caving before, or for that matter done too much climbing. What I found out caving is, is darkness, dirt/mud, close spaces, climbing, and exploration. It is also, lots of fun. After throwing on some old jeans and a long sleeve T-shirts, I got equipped with a helmet, a helmet light, and some gloves, and joined the others in going down into a hole in the ground. The cave itself is like a whole other world, it is pitch black in there, with uneven ground. Yet with the helmet light I never felt like the darkness was a problem, and it wasn't until we all turned off our lights that you really realize how dark it was.

I think the way to sum up what caving is though, for me was summed up with two words, climbing and exploration. The caves are light a maze of tunnels, crawl spaces, and ledges. The fun part and objective to caving then is to explore as much of the cave as you can. For example, there was one part when we saw a hole in the ground near our feet, kinda at a wall. We squeezed through the opening to find another tunnel area. In this next area there was four different routes possible. Down and to the right took us on a loop, that we climbed down, over and some light climbing to another area, which then turned around and connected us to where we began. Then to the left there was two options, to go down about a 20 foot incline and a drop, or a small ledge going over that crevice area, but being exposed to said drop and jumping across. What I did was I climbed/slid down the incline to the bottom. I should have climbed, but it ended up with me sliding more than anything... then I climbed up an incline to the top, where the other route connected. At the top of this part of the cave was a small opening. I was convinced this opening was too small for me, but with my hands outstretched I was able to inch and twist my way through the opening and to the other side. The other side then was another large opening room with some rock formations. We explored a bit in this area, but this one was more or less a dead end, but a neat one nonetheless. Then we went back through the whole to the previous area. This time I took the upper route back, which involved bracing my foot on the left side of the wall, and jumping across the crevice area I climbed up the last time, to a ledge back at the area where we started.

There was another part that we climbed, that I honestly did not think was climbable. There was one area that was basically an angled wall, that was too steep to climb normally. On the left and the right side there were areas that could possibly be climbed. The left was a steep climb, that would have seemed too slippery to climb up. On the right was a crack where the two walls connected, the crack extended about 15 feet high, and being as narrow as maybe 4 inches across, so far too narrow to sneak through. But past this crack it seemed climbable to the top. I went on the right side. The crack was too narrow to sneak through, so the only option then was to pull ourselves over top of it. So bracing my left foot on the left wall, and my right foot slightly behind me on the right wall, remember this was at the corner, and then putting my hand inside the crack for a handhold I managed to pull myself up into the crack and lodge myself in the crack with my back against the left wall. From here I had to inch my way up the side of the crack, for the most part using my arms to pull myself up to the top of the crack, and remember my back is against the wall, while lodged in the crack. After finally pulling myself up high enough using just my arms, I was able to sneak my legs through the rest of the crack to the other side. From there with my back still against the wall, I placed my feet against the opposite wall and "chimneyed" across the crevice, with about a 15-20 foot drop or so beneath me. What chimneying is, is going across with my back against the wall, and feet on the opposite wall, just slowly inching my way across. This is actually quite an easy maneuver and it wasn't long till I made it to the ledge on the other side and was able to finish the last gentle climb to the top.

For me then the most fun was in exploring new areas of the cave, and just climbing to reach new places. It was a lot of fun, and kinda cool to do things that I initially didn't think was possible. Like fitting through the tight crawlspace, or climbing up the crack to get to the top of the cliff area. There was also an area where Rachel and a couple of the others pulled out some rope and climbed down to explore another part of the cave. But I didn't have any rope climbing gear so I didn't get a chance to go down there. But Rachel basically belayed down the cliff, and then climbed back up, using a safety rigging on the rope to climb back up after they explored that part of the cave.

So yeah, overall I would definitely say my first experience caving was a blast. I had a lot of fun and it was nice going with an experienced group of people, that were both safety conscience but also very much into pushing what and where they could go. It was fun and challenging, and I can say today, a day later, managed to make me sore. It is definitely something I"ll end up doing again in the future, to other caves, and other explorations. And it is always fun to come up with new and interesting ways to get Mom and Grandma to worry about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment