Thursday, April 7, 2011

Furlough

So with it ever looking more and more likely like the government will be shutting down here next week, some perhaps are wondering how that might affect me.

I am happy to say that the patent office will not shut down next week. We received notice from the Director that the patent office has funds to keep us open for a maximum of 6 days. Meaning that as long as the government doesn't shut down longer than 6 days, I should be relatively unaffected. Which is a relief. Don't get me wrong, I would have enjoyed the vacation.... just not the no pay part of it all...

That being said, if the government shuts down Rachel will still have to go into work, but might not get paid for it. She is considered to have an essential job, so she still has to go in. However, there is a chance that she might not get reimbursed even so. I read somewhere that someone is threatening to sue them in that case as infringing on the 13th amendment (no slavery).

Anyways, here's hoping politicians can do their jobs and work out a budget before they have to shut down the government. I'm hoping this all becomes purely academic....

No comments:

Post a Comment